Updating marital status

People come to Turbo Tax Answer Xchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge.We do that with the style and format of our responses.Why does CRA care whether you are married, living common-law, widowed, divorced, separated or single?Your marital status affects the benefits and credits that you may be eligible for including Canada Child Benefits, GST/HST credit and the Working Income Tax Benefit.The amount you receive is based on a combined family income.When you are married or common-law, these benefits may decrease because your combined family income has increased.

If you continue to live together in the same household, CRA will generally not consider a separation to have occurred unless you have separate living quarters.Also if you continue to share parenting and financial responsibilities under the same household, CRA will not consider a separation to have occurred.Common-law: Generally this occurs after you have been living together in a relationship for at least 12 continuous months, unless you are the parent of your partner’s child or have custody and control of your child who is dependent on your partner for support.The common-law start date is the earlier date that your partner became the natural or adoptive parent or 12 months after you and your partner started living together.

To change your marital status with CRA, you can either complete the RC65 online form, send it to print and mail it to your local tax centre or if you are registered with the My Account service, you can update your marital status online.

Don’t forget, you may need to update your bank account information to ensure that your money does not get deposited into the wrong bank account.